Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Hermana Aviles

Hna. Aviles:

Is from Guerrero, Mexico.
20 years old.
Her imitation of The Sermon on the Mount


Was baptized at 11 years of age como nino inscrito.
Has 7 months in Mission Mexico Tijuana
Loves to eat bananas.
Hates salsa Valentina  (...which I happen to love)
Like me, her greatest weakness in the mission is music.
I'm slowly teaching her English through song.
Deep down inside is a wannabe graffiti artist.
Just like I've had my whole mission in Tijuana, she's spent all her mission in Ensenada.


Hna. Aviles and I have an interesting relationship.  We're sisters!  The great and powerful Hna. Torres trained us both.  Actually, the same day when I started training Hna. Pacheco, Hna. began training Hna. Aviles.  This past transfer, the beloved Hna Torres regreso a su casa (may she rest in peace).  As though to help us two recently orphaned missionaries, President Garcia muy amablamente put us together, and in the very area where Hna. Torres began her mission!  I suppose that it was so we might console one another about the recent death of our mother.  (Shout out to Hna. Torres!!!  I know you're reading this!)

It's been really fun being companions with Hna. Aviles.  The last transfer was pretty hard on her, lot's of crazy stuff happened, and I've really enjoyed being able to help her see once more the beautiful, fulfilling side of the mission.  We have had a lot of laughs, and by we, I mean that she's laughed a lot while I've done some pretty ridiculous stuff.  I can't think of a better companionship to have as we try to raise this ward from the dust.  We've seen some serious progress together, so much that they are going to split our area and send another set of Elders to serve in Azteca with us.
As for funny moments together, there are a ton, but I have just enough time to share one:
Last week, el presidente de hombres jovenes, asked us to teach the young men about how they can share the gospel in their mutual night.  Super excited for the chance to make tiny missionaries out of them all, we tried to think of a fun but educational way to teach them.  A visual example that my mom often used in Seminary classes came to mind.  I quickly ran to the kitchen, grabbed a bag of lemon tea, emptied out the continents and told my comp, "stick out your hand!".... but in Spanish.  She did so, I propped up the now empty bag on the palm of her hand and told her, "Ahora, no importa que pasa, no puede mover so mano."  And then presumed to light the tea-bag on fire.

Now what should happen is that the tea-bag will burn until it nearly reaches the hand, but just before touching skin, lifts off into the air.  An excellent example of faith. 


The side affect of our Abinidi incident
I will put it in simple terms.... that did not happen.  Perhaps the tea-bag needs to be made of a certain type of paper... I don't know.  The point is, my comp stood there, looking at her hand on fire, but faithfully not doing anything.  Quite Abinadi-like.  Needless to say that we did not use that example in front of the young men.  Instead, all this past week Hna. Aviles has been asked "que paso con su mano?" We just say that she was sweeping....

(Editor's Note:  In order for this object lesson to work you need Bigelow Tea Bags)

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I hope the burn was superficial and that her hand heals swiftly. Do you think she will ever trust you again?!! It is wonderful how your mother's efforts have colored your life and in return colors your compnanion's life. Throughout her whole life, whenever she sees a teabag, she will remember you ;). Keep up the radiant work, smile, sing, laugh, testify. You both are God's handmaidens. Love you.

    ReplyDelete