Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Chillin' with the Lamanites

Another transfer come and gone.  Another companion (Hna. Jimenez se llama), another start.  It always amazes me how fast each transfer goes by... and considering that I only have 6 months left... scares me too.

Speaking of those 6 little months, last week I was so busy trying to upload pictures that I didn't leave myself very much time to write, and I know everyone has been anxiously waiting to hear great words of wisdom from a 1 year old missionary.  So I'll end the agony now.

I don't actually feel any different... besides the fact that I speak another language now.  I guess I can check that off of my New Years goals.  But yeah, besides speaking Spanish, eating chili, and wearing a skirt everyday I feel the same.  Actually, not true.  I've noticed a few changes in my behavior.  For example: How I walk.  I don't want to be prideful or anything, but before the mission I had a very elegant walk.  In jeans or sweatpants, no.  But when I put on a dress and high-heels, the grace naturally came out as I walked.  It's true.  You can ask my grandmas, they'll vouch for me.  But gracias to one year of climbing the mountains of Tijuana, that elegance has disappeared.  It ran, hid itself, and I honestly have no idea where to find it.  All of my companions and several of the ward members have told me that I walk more like a solder than a girl in a skirt.  What can I say?  I take pleasure in hearing it now.  We've got lessons to get to, hills to climb, people to find.  I don't care if I'm in a skirt, I will rock-climb if necessary.  But all my companions laugh and I can't help but be a little scared for the day when I try to walk in high-heels again.  I think I'll need to attach training wheels.

But besides changing how I walk and talk, I've learned a lot in this past year.  My eyes have been opened to what mission work really is and I've learned to love it even more.  Not trying to be cheesy or anything, but the thought of being back home in mi casa in just six months makes me more sad than glad (sorry mom and dad).  I love the Lord.  I love this gospel.  It is the only way to find REAL happiness in this life and the life to come.  I wish I had more time to serve, but meanwhile, I'll use all I got to serve among these lamanites.

1 comment:

  1. As one of your Abuelas I can testify that your movements have always been fluid grace and full of musicality. But I sincerely like the idea of your determined martial flair being added to your missionary step. You March with the Lord's Army now and forevermore.

    ReplyDelete